I come from the business world so I always feel the need to set S.M.A.R.T. goals for myself. For those of you who are unfamiliar, S.M.A.R.T. goals are goals that are –
- S p e c i f i c
- M e a s u r a b l e
- A t t a i n a b l e
- R e a l i s t i c
- T i m e l y
Last year, my only goal was to create a business that would serve as income replacement for the job that I left to stay home with my son. Well, said business has been created and now it’s time to build the business and actually start turning a profit!
With that being said, here are the goals I would like to accomplish for Paige Simple Studio by the end of 2013…
(1) TURN A PROFIT | This is much easier said than done! When I started this business back in May a number of people told me that it would be a couple of years before I would start making any money. I thought they were crazy! How hard is it to make money off of a small internet business when you’re using a 3rd party to manage all of your transactions? Well, it’s is pretty hard if you’re also investing in branding, marketing, giveaways, and supplies. I’m sure I could have been smarter about the things that I spent money on in 2012, but when you’re doing this for the first time you don’t know what will and won’t work. Especially, when it comes to advertising! I learned a lot of lessons last year so hopefully I can use that knowledge productively in 2013!
(2) HIT 1,000 SALES ON ETSY | Between May and December of 2012 I had approximately 300 sales just through Etsy. That’s pretty good for just starting out! I’d like to double this number for 2013 and hit at least 1,000 sales by the end of the year (combined 2012 and 2013 sales). Given my success last year, I’m confident that this is attainable.
(3) ACQUIRE 6,000 FACEBOOK FANS | In 2012, I had an undocumented goal of acquiring 500 Facebook fans by the end of the year. My husband thought I was crazy! When I first launched my business page I had over 100 personal friends fan my page and from there it just kept growing. We ended the year with over 3,000 fans and are continuing to grow! I would like to double this in 2013 and end the year with 6,000+ Facebook fans.
(4) STYLE 4 PARTIES | Between June and December of 2012 I styled 3 parties (Nautical 1st Birthday | Apple Themed Birthday | Winter Wonderland Birthday). Styling parties is expensive and A LOT of work. I would love to do more, but as a one person shop I just don’t have the resources or time to commit to doing a lot of styled parties. For now, I think 1 per quarter is enough ; )
(5) CREATE 10 NEW PRINTABLE THEMES | I’m really excited about this goal! I already have 2 new themes to add to the shop, and will probably end up with more than 10 by the end of the year, but am not comfortable committing to it. Especially, if I want to offer you what’s in goals #6 and #7!
(6) OFFER 3 NEW PRODUCTS | In 2012 I located a handful of vendors that I can partner with to expand my product offering. I can’t wait to test this out! I’m planning on ordering samples in the next few months and will most likely start introducing the new products in Spring and Summer.
(7) CREATE 1 FREE PRINTABLE PER MONTH | For some strange reason the word FREE spreads like wildfire! Well, I want Paige Simple products to spread like wildfire so I’m going to start offering more FREE products. For 2013, my goal is to offer 1 FREE printable/printable package per month. Valentine’s Day will be the first and should be released next week!
(8) CREATE AN EMAIL SUBSCRIPTION LIST | I know people are busy and don’t have time to check blogs, Facebook, and Etsy every day so I would love to create material that can be delivered directly to you and opened at your leisure. Facebook used to be a good tool for this, but not everyone is on Facebook and Facebook has limited the number of fans that see non-sponsored business posts. If I want to achieve goal #1 I just can’t afford to pay every time I want my fans to see a post. I think an email subscription list will work just as well and will get my amazing customers information about promotions, new products, and what Paige Simple Studio is up to!