I’m sitting at home on this cold December night with my husband beside me and my son up in his bed sleeping. Our friends have already come and gone. It was an early night (it always is when you have toddlers), but don’t fret; we always stay up to watch the clock pass midnight!
2012 was a rough year, filled with illness and the loss of a close family member. 2013 was a better year, not excellent, but overall pretty darn good. We made so many happy memories with Chase, made some improvements to our home, planned my sister’s wedding (which will take place in May), and will be celebrating my mother-in-law’s retirement and new home this weekend!
Over the last year I also became distant with a very close friend, and in the process, learned a lot about myself. I am slowing coming to terms with the fact that, while we continue grow in life, it’s not always with the people we believed we would be growing with. I miss her dearly and truly thought she’d be someone that I would be signing the theme song to ‘The Golden Girls’ with in 50 years (after all, we did all through high school and college). The truth is, when you’re young you assume all of your friends want the same things out of life that you do, and that’s just not always the case…
Ok, enough about that! In regards to the business, it was an absolutely incredible year! I set some studio goals back in January and while I didn’t accomplish 100% of them, I did come very close. Like, VERY close. Here’s a recap…
(1) TURN A PROFIT | I’m pretty sure I made a profit. I actually tripled my revenue, but I also invested a large amount of money in a new website, marketing, education, supplies, and equipment so I still need to figure out the final figures. I’m almost 100% positive I’m in the green for the year : )
(2) HIT 1,000 SALES ON ETSY | COMPLETE! I started the year with 300 and hit 1,211 on December 31. I actually had more sales if you count the other sales channels I set up, but this goal was specific to Etsy.
(3) ACQUIRE 6,000 FACEBOOK FANS | COMPLETE! I hit this in March and now have just over 10,000 thanks to business collaborations, features, and giveaways! Of course, Facebook has changed the way they do things so I’m now pondering which social media platforms I should be focusing on for 2014.
(4) STYLE 4 PARTIES | I styled 2 parties (1) Valentine’s Day Sweet Bar and (2) Preppy Tie 2nd Birthday Party. I also helped out with the Operation Shower event, which I’m counting as a third. I did fall short on this goal and had to put a 4th party on hold so I could focus on my new eCommerce site. Midway through the year I decided to change my focus and branch out into stationery and gifts, so I got a little side tracked.
(5) CREATE 10 NEW PRINTABLE THEMES | COMPLETE! We launched the Winter Wonderland Collection, Little Lamb Collection, Little Engine Collection, Preppy Gator Collection, Puppy Pawty Collection, Preppy Tie Collection, Baby Monkey Collection, Balloon Collection, Crab Collection, and Blueberry Collection.
(6) OFFER 3 NEW PRODUCTS | COMPLETE! I launched a whole bunch of new products with the eCommerce site.
(7) CREATE 1 FREE PRINTABLE PER MONTH | Almost! I hit 8 of 12 months and had to put the end of the year on hold while I focused on orders and some other projects. Click on the ‘Free Printables’ link in the menu bar to check out what we did!
(8) CREATE AN EMAIL SUBSCRIPTION LIST | COMPLETE! Have you signed up?!?
I consider it a WIN. I set some goals, made them happen, and then made some more things happen! On top of all of this, I also changed my website, launched an eCommerce site (which wasn’t planned until 2014), volunteered with Operation Shower, went to The National Stationery Show, collaborated with more businesses than I can name, was featured on some pretty awesome sites, and took some classes to enhance my skills. Phew! I’m tired just thinking about all of that!
We have so much to look forward to next year and I am determined to make more things happen and enjoy the moments that come! I’m currently working on some goals that I will be sure to share very soon. I hope you all had a wonderful year and are looking forward to 2014 as much as I am!